The mission of the Millburn Free Public Library is to fulfill the educational, informational, cultural and recreational needs of the community by providing open and equal access to services and library materials in various formats.
GENERAL MEETING ROOM POLICY
The Library's meeting room facilities are to be used to enhance the educational, cultural and community life of the residents of Millburn Township, in accordance with the Library’s mission and the American Library Association’s “Library Bill of Rights” which states, “ Libraries that make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.”
The Library reserves the right to prioritize meeting room use based on the following criteria:
- Library meetings or Library-sponsored programs
- Millburn Township official meetings (including school-related meetings).
- Groups and organizations based in Millburn Township
- Other groups and organizations (among whose membership there must be a Township resident or Library cardholder) subject to the provisions below
or to any modifications that may be made by the Library's Board of Trustees
REGULATIONS FOR USE
- All meetings scheduled in the Library must be open to the general public and free of admission charges. No donations may be solicited or collected from the audience. Promotions or sales of services, products, merchandise, materials or other items are prohibited.
- Sales of services, products, merchandise or solicitations for donations by a Library-sponsored program or event, or by the Friends of the Library are permitted.
- Meeting rooms may not be used for purposes prohibited by local, state and/or federal law.
- Meeting room application must be signed by a sponsoring adult when the facility is used by minors. That adult must also be present for the duration of the program/meeting.
- The use of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- The Library is a totally smoke-free facility.
- The use of hazardous materials, including but not limited to open flames (such as candles) and incense are not permitted.
- Handouts, advertisements and other materials for a meeting or program are subject to approval by the Director or his/her representative and may not indicate by text, graphic or implication the endorsement or sponsorship of the Library. All advertisements and notices must clearly designate the sponsoring organization.
- Meeting rooms may not be used for personal celebrations including, but not limited to showers, birthday parties or anniversary parties.
- Attendance size will be limited to the number authorized by the Fire Department for the particular room.
- Meetings are to be held during the Library’s public hours unless specific arrangements have been made with and approved by the Director. Barring extenuating circumstances as defined by the Director, an additional room fee will be charged for meetings that are held outside the Library’s public hours.
- Set-up preparation must be included in the regular meeting schedule. Access to the meeting room prior to the Library’s public hours will not be permitted.
- Decorations must be approved by the Director and may not be affixed to the wall. All decorations must be free-standing.
- With proper notice and sufficient reason, the Library reserves the right to revoke permission for the use of a meeting room; or to change the meeting location to another room.
APPLICATION FOR USE
- A signed application for the use of a meeting room must be submitted to and approved by the Library Director or his/her authorized representative. Approval shall be at the discretion of the Library Director or his/her authorized representative subject to the policy. No reservation is officially confirmed until the Library sends out a written approval of an application/request. The applicant must acknowledge having read a copy of this policy statement; sign the "Damage, Indemnification and Applicant Hold Harmless Agreement" and complete the attached application form.
These documents are available in PDF format (Meeting Room Policy and Meeting Room Application) and may be submitted electronically with a digital signature.
- All organizations using the Library's rooms shall be responsible and liable for any damage to the room and/or its contents.
- If the serving of refreshments is proposed, a specific request to do so must be made in advance and be approved by the Director or his/her representative. Arrangements for use of coffee urns must be made in advance and fees paid. No refreshments are allowed in the Williamsburg Room.
- Set-up of a room shall be arranged in advance and may not be changed.
- The Board of Trustees reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to waive any provision contained herein, and to modify or revoke any permission for use previously granted by the Director or his/her representative.
- The Board of Trustees reserves the right to amend or cancel any or all of these provisions at any time.
MEETING ROOM FEES - PROFIT-MAKING ORGANIZATIONS
During regular Library hours
||$150 per hour
||$50 per hour
||$100 per hour
|Piano Recitals -- three (3) hours
|Rehearsal (for booked recitals only)
||$50 per hour or any part thereof
||$5 (coffee & accessories to be provided by the organization using the room)
|Kitchen Privilege (Room B)
||$10 (refrigerator storage – must be emptied immediately after the program)
||$40 (renting organization is responsible for knowing how to use the equipment)
* Concerts running in excess of 3 hours will be subject to an additional charge of $75 per hour for each hour (or part thereof) over the original 3.
All fees must be received by the Library no later than 7 days before the meeting or program.
MEETING ROOM FEES - NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
|Monday through Thursday
||9:30 a.m. - 8:45 p.m.
|Friday & Saturday
||9:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m
||1:00 p.m.- 4:45 p.m
|(CLOSED SATURDAYS IN AUGUST)
DAMAGE, INDEMNIFICATION, AND APPLICANT-HOLD-HARMLESS AGREEMENT
The undersigned agrees to assume responsibility for the preservation of order at said location and liability for any damage thereto and for the observance of all policies, rules and regulations of the Millburn Free Public Library and further release Millburn Township, the Millburn Free Public Library, and their respective officials, employees, and agents (collectively the Township parties) from any liability of any kind whatsoever arising out of participation, organization and/or sponsoring of said activity. The undersigned further agrees to indemnify and hold harmless all of the Township parties from and against any and all actions, causes of action, losses, damages, liabilities, and claims, and all fees, costs and expenses of any kind related thereto (including without limitations, reasonable attorney's fees), arising out of or resulting from claims based upon or related to participation, organization and/or sponsorship of said activity
The undersigned is at least 21 years of age and intends to be bound by this agreement.
I HAVE RECEIVED AND READ THE MILLBURN FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY'S USE & RENTAL POLICY AND UNDERSTAND THAT I AM PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR MY GROUP'S ADHERENCE TO SAME.