Art in the Library
The Library is proud to have two paintings (Around the Fire and Mother and Children In a Meadow) on permanent display by Edward Dufner a noted American impressionist who lived from 1872 to 1957. Both paintings were gifts of Mr. and Mrs. Dufner to the Township of Millburn.
Millburn & Essex County Maps
In 2002 the Library came into possession of a treasure trove of local maps. The most impressive of the group is the “MAP OF ESSEX COUNTY: From Surveys Under the Direction of H. F. Walling – 1859”. This is a beautifully preserved large map measuring approximately 60” X 60” that was reframed and mounted by Steve Suskauer of David Gary Ltd. All of the localities of the time are shown in detail; although some place-names have changed and it is very obvious how lightly populated and undeveloped the County was in comparison to the present.
Another green-tinted map, which the Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society and the Town’s Art Advisory Committee had extracted from the H. F. Walling map, shows the Town as it existed in 1859. It was then popularly known as “Milburn” with a single “l” in its name. The two other maps are copies of ones issued in 1764 and 1906.
The official description of the black-and-white 1764 map is as follows:
“The land that is today Millburn, was purchased by the settlers of Newark from the Native American inhabitants on at least two occasions. The first in 1666 included land to the foot of the Watchung Mountains. It apparently included the present-day area of Millburn Center, Wyoming, South Mountain, and Glenwood. In 1677 land was purchased to the top of the Watchung Mountains. This was referred to as the New Ark Mountain Purchase Claim and is the subject of this map, known as the “1764 Thomas Ball Map of the New Ark Mountain Purchase Claim”.
Made by using lengths of chain, the area was divided into plots of 200 acres each. Major roads are identified by their present-day names and many of the names of the landholders also are inscribed. No. 100 is undoubtedly the acreage granted by King George to Samuel Campbell upon which he built his Mill-on-the Burn. It is now part of South Mountain Reservation. Likewise, unnamed Lot 103 is almost certainly the “glebe”, which was granted to the Presbyterian Church with one half for the support of the church and the other for the minister. Wheeler’s Deed and No.’s 105, 107, and 108 were mostly marsh lands.”
When Millburn was separated from Springfield on March 20, 1857 the act of the Legislature of the State of New Jersey spelled Millburn with a double “l”. In later years the single “l” became popular as this map shows.
Millburn originally included lands on the east referred to as Jefferson Village. This area was separated from Millburn in 1863 and became a part of South Orange Township, which became the Village of Maplewood in 1922.
Memorial to the Gerhardts
In May 2002 a sculpture entitled Nurture, by Inuvialuit artist, Eli Nasogaluak was unveiled at the Library in memory of Erwin O. Gerhardt (Library President from 1956-60) and Lydia K. Gerhardt (teacher/consultant with the Millburn Schools from 1948-73).